[TIP] Unit testing functions which call super

Marcin Tustin Marcin.Tustin at dealertrack.com
Wed Aug 13 13:15:49 PDT 2014

Yes: the reason is that I’m not writing an integration test, I’m writing a test to test this specific method. We need unit tests to test our individual units, and integration tests to test them together. It’s not wise to rely only on integration tests (nor only on unit tests).

I actually do share the concern about over mocking (it’s easy to mock so much that you test nothing), but it’s important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Integration tests by their nature lack granularity to pinpoint problems (and yes, I realize it’s possible and desirable to set up integration tests so that do point to where a detected problem originates, but it’s still not a substitute for appropriate unit testing).