[TIP] Fwd: finalizing tox's new parametrized configuration (RFC)

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Fri Aug 8 05:46:19 PDT 2014

Hi Alex, (including your considerations to the list again),

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 19:09 +0800, Alexander Schepanovski wrote:

> [...]

I agree.  Allowing the "generative" envlist syntax in the conditional
expression would help to live without negation.

> 2. Only allow negation outside "hyphenated words", negating the whole
> thing. This will make exceptions easier. As an added bonus we can use
> negations in envlist, meaning exceptions:
>     py{26,27,33,34}-django{13,14,15,16,17},
>     !py26-django17,                                        # dropped python
> 2.6 support in django 1.7
>     !py{33,34}-django{13,14}                          # python 3 supported
> since django 1.5
> Helps with non rectangular matrices.
>
> Both approaches forbid some very confusing constructs like "!py26-!py27".
> "py26-py27" is also confusing, but it makes no sense since factors from
> same set are mutually exclusive, while their negations are not.
>
> Also, second approach is a backward compatible extension of the first one,
> so we could start with a first and look if anyone will really need negation
> at all.

I agree.  Let's remove negation and go for variant 1. for releasing tox-1.8.
When negation is really needed (haven't seen a real-life example yet) we can
think about the rules -- we could e.g. then require !(.*), i.e.
parentheses after "!" to make it clear and not require knowing about
precendence rules when reading a tox.ini.

best,
holger