[TIP] finalizing tox's new parametrized configuration (RFC)

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Thu Aug 7 08:08:26 PDT 2014

On 08/07/2014 01:48 AM, holger krekel wrote:

> I'd like to ask for suggestions/feedback regarding finalizing
> the new tox parametrization configuration syntax.  What we currently have:
>
> https://testrun.org/tox/dev/config.html#generating-environments-conditional-settings

This all looks lovely!

> The question now is how to complete the "factor conditional settings" syntax
> with "OR" and "AND" operations.  We are discussing it on this issue:
>
>     https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/tox/issue/183/boolean-algebra-and-factors
>
> I currently lean towards using "," for OR and "-" for AND and am now looking
> at my own tox.ini usages.

I agree; "," for OR and "-" for AND feels consistent with existing
tox.ini syntax. I'd have no problem with that.

> Any opinions?  Do you have tox.ini files which use combinations (currently
> by exhaustively explicitely listing them) and can post them here so we
> could see to transform them using the new syntax?

Sure; here is one that I haven't yet gotten around to simplifying at
all, not even with substitutions for common dependencies:
https://github.com/carljm/django-model-utils/blob/master/tox.ini

Carl