[TIP] Shameless nose plugin plug: nose-knows

Eyal Reuveni eyal at eventbrite.com
Thu Apr 17 08:46:17 PDT 2014

Hi Albert-Jan,

Thanks for your question! That's precisely it: nose-knows figures out which
subsets of your test suite to run whenever a specific source file changes.
This is useful for systems that have the following two conditions:

1. complex code base
2. long running unit tests

Having a complex code base means that it is challenging to ascertain which
unit tests need to run besides the one in that package; having long running
unit tests means that you can't continuously be running all of the unit
tests whenever any file changes, as the feedback loop is simply too long
time-wise.

Nose-knows does not do the "watch for file changes and re-run your tests"
part, because you can hook up nose-knows to things like nosy /nosier /
PyZen / etc.

Thanks!

Eyal