[TIP] [RFC] Functional test infrastructure for PostgreSQL fixtures

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 18:30:11 PDT 2013

Hi !

<overview>

I'm starting to focus on running Apache™ Bloodhound (Trac) functional
test suite against PosgreSQL DB .

</overview>

<current>

ATM it's possible to use environment variables to pass DB URI to the
functional test suite . Nevertheless this is kind of raw approach
since it assumes that a few other details are solved prior to running
the test suite .

</current>

<goal>

Therefore I'd like to develop the instrumentation aimed at easing the
task of running such tests . The perfect solution would imply a single
invocation of

{{{#!sh
$ python setup.py test -m tests.functional.main.postgres
}}}

... where `tests` is the top-level module containing multi-product test cases

</goal>

<requirements>

Ideally the initial requirements I have are the following :

  - a single entry point to run tests
  - Time optimizations
    * Reusable DB pool
    * Preload data , to test upgrades from a well known
      (previous) system state
    * Automatic creation of DB templates
  - Create and drop local clusters
    * ... vs listing (selecting) existing PostgreSQL clusters
  - Multi-platform
    * Linux
    * Unix & other derivatives
    * Windows
    * Mac OS
  - A minimal number of dependencies upon 3rd-party libs
    * ideally built on top of unittest2 & psycopg2

</requirements>

<questions>

I'm looking for feedback, suggestions and recommendations of libraries
suitable for PostgreSQL fixtures setup and management as stated above
.

</questions>

I'll appreciate any comments on this subject

TIA

--
Regards,

Olemis - @olemislc

Apache™ Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound
http://blood-hound.net

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Popularidad de Python, septiembre 2013 -
http://goo.gl/fb/tr0XB