[TIP] unittest2 assertRaises failure message

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:41:46 PST 2013

On 1/15/13, Michael Rene Armida <me at marmida.com> wrote:
> I'd suggest inspecting the context manager object, which exposes the caught
> exception as an attribute.  You can see it here in the unittest2 docs:
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/unittest2.shtml#assertraises

No that's not the case as I want to detect whether expected exception
was not raised or any other kind of failure .

> In your case, you'd want something like:
>
> with self.assertRaises(MyException) as cm:
>     # Assertions et al.
> self.assertEqual(cm.exception.somevalue, 42)

Therefore it is a bit more heavy metal than this ;)

> As for dumping the globals and locals during a failure, I don't know how to
> hook that into the unittest2 machinery.

Already implemented in the patch I mentioned before
;)

> However, nosetests does allow you
> to invoke pdb on failures with a command-line switch,

I've never been a nose user ...
:'(

> whic allows you to
> interactively poke around at the locals, globals, and whatever else you
> might want.  pdb has a learning curve, but I think the payoff makes it
> worthwhile.

... but this seems interesting .

Thanks for your reply .

--