[TIP] invalid xml characters in junit output with pytest

Pella,Chris Chris.Pella at safenet-inc.com
Mon Feb 25 08:01:02 PST 2013

We have a problem with a test we are running in Jenkins. We are wrapping a binary executable with pexpect as part of a test suite. When a failure occurs it looks like there are some escape characters e.g. 0x1b that are captured in the junit xml output:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException<http://stacktrace.jenkins-ci.org/search?query=org.xml.sax.SAXParseException>: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x1b) was found in the element content of the document.
Consequently, Jenkins doesn't print the results for the test. I tried writing a python script to filter out the invalid xml but it doesn't seem to get executed before the Jenkins junit reporting executes.
Is there a way to tell the pytest junit plugin to filter these characters?

Thanks,
Chris

or disclosing it.