[TIP] pytest and nose - what's to choose between them?

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 06:38:26 PDT 2013

I'm a big fan of pytest, a few of the reasons why:

* Uses the simple assert statement, without compromising useful tracebacks
* Extremely powerful plugin system, and rich ecosystem of existing plugins
* Friendly UI: --pdb covers both errors and exceptions, simple "-k
<anything>" to filter test cases/functions

Alex

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Emily Bache <emily.bache at cantab.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at pytest and nose as alternatives to unittest, since
> they both offer a pythonic interface for writing unit tests without too
> much boilerplate. I was hoping for some opinions from this list about when
> to choose nose and when to choose pytest? What are the main advantages of
> each? My target python version is 3.3, does that make a difference?
>
> Regards,
> Emily Bache

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084