[TIP] pytest - parametrizing some arguments require parametrization at collection phase and some at setup time?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Apr 4 23:14:13 PDT 2013

Hi Elizabeth,

And sorry for taking a while but i am still not sure i fully understand.
I am pretty sure we can find a solution but i'd like to find one that
fits the problem :)

Could you clarify your problem purely from the test function side?
Particularly, if you have this test:

    @params([
        ['color', 'type'],
        { 'argvalues': [ 'blue', 'cat'] },
        { 'argvalues': ['pink', 'dog'] }
    ])
    def test_example(myfixture, color, type):
        # this is the new test we want to add
        assert 0

do i understand it right that ``myfixture`` should be indirectly
created by using ["std", "pro"] as respective parameters because
there is a @params decorator? And that for

    def test_something(myfixture):
        # existing test which only uses std fixture
        assert 0

you only want ``myfixture`` created with the "std" parameter?

And that for:

    @params([
        {'arg1': 1, 'arg2': 2},
        {'arg1': 3, 'arg2': 5}
    ])
    def test_old_style(arg1, arg2):
        # existing tests which don't use fixtures
        assert 0

you don't want any "myfixture" created at all?

cheers,
holger