[TIP] combining markers in pytest

Pella,Chris Chris.Pella at safenet-inc.com
Fri Oct 19 14:40:10 PDT 2012

I'm trying to find out if we can combine markers in a Boolean way using pytest. Let's say we have some tests that can be marked as 'regression', or 'smoke', or 'nightly_build'. We have some other tests that are platform-specific and we mark as linux_x86_32 , solaris_sparc_32 etc...
Is there a way to combine these so that we can say include a linux_x86_32 test as part of the nightly build?
If you stack the markers like below it will 'or' the markers so that it will always run if  py.test -m nightly  is used even if linux_x86_32 is not set:
@pytest.marker.nightly
@pytest.marker.linux_x86_32
def test_me():

What is the best way to select tests when there are multiple pre-conditions involved? Should we just be organizing test classes differently (this would involve code duplication and doesn't appeal) ?  We are setting up automated testing using Jenkins over multiple client platforms and with multiple test targets (we make embedded systems), and want to designate different types of test runs.

Chris

or disclosing it.