[TIP] [tox] Stale pyc files causing false positive test successes

andrea crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 05:44:15 PDT 2012

2012/10/14 Laurens Van Houtven <_ at lvh.cc>:
> Hi guys,
>

> I'm generally a pretty happy tox user, but recently I ran into something
> that appears to have generated a false positive. Apparently I misunderstand
> how tox works, because I figured this wouldn't be possible...
>
> Anyway, I removed a package (both the directory, the __init__.py and the
> module inside of it), re-ran the tests, and it worked fine. Later, when
> actually trying to run the code in the venv, it broke -- there was still
> something relying on importing that package but the tests didn't catch it.
>
> I honestly have no idea whatsoever how this happened. It's the first time
> I've seen this behavior, despite it not being the first package I pruned.
>
> I guess the way to fix this is by recreating the environment? That seems to
> have fixed the issue. I guess maybe in doing so I've also nuked any
> possibility of further diagnosing the problem; hopefully the above
> recollection is enough to ring a bell somewhere.
>

> cheers
> lvh

I think you have to make sure they are deleted yourself, but maybe an
even better way would be to remove all the files that are not in the
repository before running the tests, for example

git clean -xfd && tox

in this way you're sure that some tests are only passing because the
are files not checked in your working copy..