[TIP] [tox] Stale pyc files causing false positive test successes

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Sun Oct 14 08:39:13 PDT 2012

Hi guys,

I'm generally a pretty happy tox user, but recently I ran into something
that appears to have generated a false positive. Apparently I misunderstand
how tox works, because I figured this wouldn't be possible...

Anyway, I removed a package (both the directory, the __init__.py and the
module inside of it), re-ran the tests, and it worked fine. Later, when
actually trying to run the code in the venv, it broke -- there was still
something relying on importing that package but the tests didn't catch it.

I honestly have no idea whatsoever how this happened. It's the first time
I've seen this behavior, despite it not being the first package I pruned.

I guess the way to fix this is by recreating the environment? That seems to
have fixed the issue. I guess maybe in doing so I've also nuked any
possibility of further diagnosing the problem; hopefully the above
recollection is enough to ring a bell somewhere.

cheers
lvh