[TIP] structure of a testing talk

andrea crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 05:08:59 PDT 2012

2012/10/2 Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>:

> Andrea, this is helpful to me.  I've proposed a Getting Started Testing
> tutorial for PyCon, and it's great to see how other people tell the story.
> My tutorial is an expansion of a talk I did last year at Boston Python.  You
> can see my slides from that talk at
> http://nedbatchelder.com/text/starttest.html .  I'll accept tweaks to my
> story line too!
>
> --Ned.

It looks very nice thanks, I like the idea of evolving tests to show
how it's superior to doing it by hand..

But are also the sources for the slides available?  I think you might
really like https://github.com/nyergler/hieroglyph to produce html
slides, the output is great and you can use all the Sphinx plugins (I
use ditaa / graphviz and all the source code smart inclusions for
example).

Here there is another example of two talks I've with this method:
https://github.com/AndreaCrotti/pyconuk2012_slides

Anyway only things I found are
- slide 11 goes out
- colors are a bit "shocking"

Another nice thing which I've seen doing once (but might not be always
possible) is to actually do some Test First Development calling people
from the audience, each one creating a test and make it pass.

It's a bit slow but a great way to make sure you're not going too fast
and to see how someone not experience approaches the problem..