[TIP] structure of a testing talk

Jens Rantil jens.rantil at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 03:37:08 PDT 2012

Python is used a lot for web development nowadays. How about mentioning
that there are libraries for executing tests by controlling a browser? I'm
thinking about Selenium and thelike. They are very useful for high-level
testing.

Regards,
Jens

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:34 AM, andrea crotti <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm preparing a talk about unit testing in Python, and I'm thinking
> about what to say and in which order..
>
> So far I came up with the following structure of key points, what do
> you think?
> Am I missing something important or anything else that could be useful?
>
> * Python is very dynamic
>
> ** No help from the compiler
>
> ** Very bad errors coming only at runtime
>
>    examples of functions that fail miserably only at runtime
>
> ** We need to test our code even harder
>
> * Functions
>
> ** Pure functions
>
> ** Side effects, and why they are bad
>
> ** Test pure functions (with a simple module)
>
> * Testing
>
> ** Unit testing, integration testing, functional testing
>
> ** TDD and test first development
>
> ** Examples and demo about TDD
>
> * unittest libraries
>
> ** Setup / Teardown
>
> ** Test discovery
>
> ** Coverage
>
> ** Nose + coverage
>
> * Mock library
>
> ** Python dynamic binding and by-hand examples
>
> ** Testing side effect functions
>
> * Conclusions
>
> ** Avoid side effect whenever possible
>
> ** Build your programs bottom-up, composing small functions
>
> ** Before writing the code, think how you could test it

Want to know how full my inbox is? Or how to get in touch with me faster?
Or tell me your e-mail is not that important? Then check this out:
http://courteous.ly/4WtfZY