[TIP] Export tox commands for non-toxable environments?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Thu Nov 29 07:02:16 PST 2012

I'm using tox to run tests on multiple Pythons for coverage.py.  But tox
won't run on 2.3 or 2.4 (I know, ancient), which coverage.py still
supports.  I'd like to be able to export the commands tox would run so
that I can execute them manually in another environment.  Something like
"tox --dry-run" would be perfect.  It would output "pip install REQ" for
each requirement, and "CMD" for each command.  Does anything like this
exist?  Am I missing some subtlety that makes this a silly request?

I can probably hack something together by parsing the tox.ini or the
output of "tox --showconfig", but that seems like the wrong way to make
it happen.

--Ned.

PS: Is "non-toxic" a better adjective to describe environments tox
doesn't support? :)