[TIP] failing tests after upgrading Mock 0.7 to 0.8

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Nov 20 15:31:25 PST 2012

On 20 Nov 2012, at 21:47, Michael <mock at webhippo.net> wrote:

> I would like to respectfully answer this:
>
> This is a super un-useful answer.
>
> 1. Yes it worked in 0.7.2
> 2. No the docs did not mention the __init__/super was call was required. For all we knew it was not required.
> 3. The docs also do not mention like all kinds of things, like that one should step on one foot while using mock ... that does not mean we should do them.

Sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen this thread. The short answer is that overriding __init__ in a Mock subclass did *not* work (except perhaps for a very limited set of use-cases) in 0.7.2:

>>> import mock as m
>>> m.__version__
'0.7.2'
>>> class M(m.Mock):
...      def __init__(self): pass
>>> a = M()
>>> a.foo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/compile/virtualenvs/old-mock/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mock.py", line 355, in __getattr__
    elif self._methods is not None:
  File "/compile/virtualenvs/old-mock/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mock.py", line 354, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError(name)
AttributeError: _methods

An uninitialised Mock instance doesn't work. In general subclassing and overriding an initialiser, without calling up to the base class(es), is a bug in your code.

All the best,

Michael Foord