[TIP] failing tests after upgrading Mock 0.7 to 0.8

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Nov 20 14:08:06 PST 2012

On 21 November 2012 09:03, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:

> On 21 November 2012 08:47, Michael <mock at webhippo.net> wrote:
>
>> I would like to respectfully answer this:
>>

> It doesn't look like you succeeded in answering respectfully.
>

> This is a super un-useful answer.
>>
>> 1. Yes it worked in 0.7.2
>> 2. No the docs did not mention the __init__/super was call was required.
>> For all we knew it was not required.
>> 3. The docs also do not mention like all kinds of things, like that one
>> should step on one foot while using mock ... that does not mean we should
>> do them.

That's true; nor does it mention you must have Python installed, or your
computer must be switched on.  I don't think it would be useful for every
Python library's documentation to repeat the basics of how to use Python.

I don't think super constructor calls are an especially well designed
aspect of Python, because the default behavior is generally not what you
want (not to mention multiple inheritance.)  But, it is what it is, and
code that doesn't call upwards is generally wrong already.

I expect if you sent a patch to Mock that does mention this they'd probably
take it.

--
Martin