[TIP] What's status.dat doing in coverage.py's HTML report?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Nov 14 04:20:53 PST 2012

Creating the HTML report can be time-consuming.  But generally, the
report changes very little between successive runs of coverage.py.
status.dat records hashes of the source files and their coverage data,
so they can be skipped if they haven't changed.  In typical usage, this
makes the HTML report much faster to generate.  There's nothing
sensitive in the file, I would leave it.

--Ned.