[TIP] [tox] Can't install epsilon/axiom dependency

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Sat May 26 02:29:06 PDT 2012

I've figured out the issue so I'm recording it here for posterity.

The problem boils down to these 2 projects already requiring their
dependencies (Epsilon requires Twisted, Axiom requires Epsilon) in order to
run setup.py egg-info. So, no matter whether I pip install -r or use tox
deps (basically amounting to the same thing more or less), they're not
going to have their *egg-info* depends in place.

I have fixed the issue by having twisted and coverage (the things I need to
run tests) in tox's deps declaration, then manually installing Epsilon with
pip (which will have a fully installed twisted before it starts because of
the previous deps declaration), then installing all my depends with pip
install -r requirements.txt, which has among other things Epsilon and
Twisted which will be ignored because they're already installed, and
finally Axiom which will work because of the previous pip install hack so
it'll find a fully installed Epsilon before it begins.

Aaargh! That was harder than it should have been.

cheers
lvh