[TIP] [Edu-sig] Online Data Base of Dynamic Question

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Mon May 21 13:20:19 PDT 2012

In a message of Mon, 21 May 2012 13:08:10 -0300, Raniere Gaia Silva writes:
>Hi,
>
>I was searching for a easily and quickly way to make math tests/exercises
>(I don't want a course management system like moodle <http://moodle.org/>
> or
>webwork <http://webwork.maa.org/>).
>Since I didn't find any great solution I start to make one:
>http://smart-teacher.alwaysdata.net/
>
>would be interested in comments :)
>and in which other groups I could discuss it?
>
>Raniere

I have taken the liberty of posting this to testing-in-python.
Many testing frameworks already exist, and some of them -- Geoff Bache's
TextTest comes to mind -- may work to do what you want with minimal
tweaking.   But you will need to describe what it is that you want
to do.  Mostly we test python code here, but some of us have things
that deal with more arbitrary input.  And there is also Crunchy Frog
which might be adaptable.

Around here (TIP) we like use cases lots more than we like discussion of the
internal vision for the project, which means in describing what you
want, if you can say things like 'I want the teacher to provide X,
and when the student provides Q, the result Z is generated' we will
have an easier time of seeing if the frameworks we know and maintain
can be of use to you.  There are dozens represented here, all quite
friendly -- so you will not be able to narrow down your choice by
asking 'which is the best'.  The answer is always 'for whom? to do
what?'.

But I think customising something here will be a lot easier than writing your
own from scratch, especially if you have never done this before.

And even if our solutiuons are overkill for your problems -- well, you
will at least get to meet a nice group of people, many of whom have also
felt the itch to write their own frameworks, and who can talk about some of
the problems that await you.

best,
Laura