[TIP] running tests from pytest.main

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Jun 26 00:48:40 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 14:52 -0400, Pella,Chris wrote:
> We are invoking pytest using pytest.main from a custom functional test framework we are layering on top of pytest. It creates a global test configuration dictionary based on some command line switches and some config file data.  I was trying to prevent the global config dictionary from being re-initialized and making it a singleton by doing this:
> if "config" not in dir(sys.modules[__name__]):
>                 config = {}

Why are you going through the sys.modules indirection instead of just doing:

    # contained in some module
    config = {}

?

If this is done in a module, "config" automatically is a singleton because
all imported Python modules are singletons (i.e. a given module is only
imported once usually).

If i am missing the point - could you provide a little reproducable example
and the pytest.main() invocations so that we can reproduce the problem?

thanks,
holger