[TIP] tox on Python 3.3?

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Mon Jul 16 09:28:47 PDT 2012

We sorted this out on IRC. Details below:

On 07/15/2012 07:16 AM, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On 7/15/2012 8:40 AM, Alfredo Deza wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com
>> <mailto:ned at nedbatchelder.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I'm trying to use tox with Python 3.3b1, and failing.  The full
>>     output is appended.  I tried getting the tips of pip and
>>     distribute and installing them into my Python 3.3 first, but it
>>     doesn't affect the outcome.  I can't be the only person trying to
>>     use tox with 3.3? I must be missing something obvious.
>>
>> Hi Ned,
>>
>> Have you seen this issue on pip? It seems like it is relevant to what
>> you are experiencing:
>>
>> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/552
>>

> I did see that issue, and I see it as closed, which is why I installed
> the tip of pip, perhaps I'm not reading the git tea leaves properly.  Or
> perhaps I don't understand where tox gets its pip from?

Tox creates a virtualenv for each testing environment, and virtualenv
automatically installs pip into each of those virtualenvs. The pip that
is installed in the environment you run tox from is actually not
relevant, what matters is the version of the pip sdist bundled with the
installation of virtualenv that tox is using. Simplest way to change
that is to find the "virtualenv_support" directory in site-packages (of
the env you run tox from), and place an sdist zip/tarball of the newer
pip there. Virtualenv will use the newest version it finds there.

Carl