[TIP] Weird problem with Jenkins: ShiningPanda plugin and Tox, but not tox on its own...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 09:20:37 PDT 2012

On 01/07/2012 08:43, Chris Withers wrote:
> Something has changed between 15th Feb and now in either Tox, distribute
> or virtualenv that results in a "Permission denied" error on Linux and
> Mac OS but not Windows:
>
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> 'py2.6/lib/python2.6/distutils/__init__.py'
>
> This is what the output used to look like back in Feb:
>
> http://jenkins.simplistix.co.uk/job/checker-tox/PYTHON=2.6,label=linux/7/console
>

> Now the job emits:
>
> http://jenkins.simplistix.co.uk/job/checker-tox/PYTHON=2.6,label=linux/8/console
>

> No code has changed in the project under test. I first experienced this
> problem on another job on the same Jenkins server. I've made sure
> Jenkins and all its plugins, including ShiningPanda are now up to date,
> but I still get the result you see above :-(
>
> Some observations:

Another one is that Tox on its own runs fine outside of
Jenkins/ShiningPanda:

jenkins at server2:~/slave/workspace/testfixtures-buildout/PYTHON/2.5/label/linux$
bin/tox
2.7-not create:
/var/lib/jenkins/slave/workspace/testfixtures-buildout/PYTHON/2.5/label/linux/.tox/2.7-not
____________________________________________________________ summary
   2.7-not: commands succeeded
   2.6-not: commands succeeded
   2.6-zc: commands succeeded
   2.5-zc: commands succeeded
   2.7-zc: commands succeeded
   2.5-not: commands succeeded
   congratulations :)

Here I run Tox from a checkout created by the Jenkins job that creates
the sdist the real Tox job rubs from and as the jenkins user.

No weird "permission denied" errors.

Olivier, can you suggest anything? (or at least reproduce...)

cheers,

Chris

PS: Lesson for me here is that because I make infrequent checkins to my
open source projects, I need to run the Jenkins jobs periodically (I've
now set them up to run weekly) to make sure changes in dependencies
don't catch me out...

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk