[TIP] py.test for distributed blackbox testing using Selenium

Baiju M baiju.m.mail at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 08:41:13 PST 2012

Hi,

I was trying to use the xdist plugin for distributed black box testing
using Selenium.
I have N number of isolated identical app servers (same DB, same
configuration etc.).
I was following this instruction:
http://pytest.org/latest/xdist.html#running-tests-in-a-python-subprocess

Each test should connect to the above mentioned distinct app servers. What
approach would be good in this kind of situation to get the IP& PORT of these
servers ?  Should I go for some external queue ?  Or can I do it using a
a queue in the same process ?  May some serialization of this app server
detailes (IP&PORT) would be sufficient ?
I am looking to forward to your opinions/suggestions.

BTW, I started looking to pytest after reading this article:
http://www.theautomatedtester.co.uk/blog/2011/pytest_and_xdist_plugin.html

Regards,
Baiju M