[TIP] [tox] multiple overlapping axis with Jenkins (Chris Withers)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 01:27:27 PST 2012

Hi Holger,

On 05/01/2012 07:43, holger krekel wrote:
> those are auto-discovered at the moment:
>
> * on windows the default is c:\\PythonXYZ\python.exe
> * on posix

warning ;-) - Windows is posix, do you mean 'unix-ish and bsd-ish' here?

> the PATH variable is used to try find pythonX.Y

Okay, is that in the docs anywhere? I must have missed it...

Olivier, could the ShiningPanda plugin tweak the PATH in such a way that
the Python specified by ShiningPanda is used on each non-windows slave?

...of course, that doesn't help on Windows, so, getting on to the
"right" solution:

> Additionally there are plans to suport a host-specific settings
> file which could specify the full path independently of the cross-platform
> tox.ini file.

I think looking in environment variables such as PYTHON27_LOCATION,
PYPY_LOCATION, etc, would be more useful.

That way, a plugin such as ShiningPanda can set these based on its
configuration, and if someone isn't using ShiningPanda they can use
node-specific environment variables to set them manually...

...and of course, if they're not using Jenkins at all, they can just set
them in the user environment on each type of host :-)

Would that be hard to implement?

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk