[TIP] Coverage.py 3.6 beta 2

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon Dec 31 19:47:03 PST 2012

On 12/31/2012 10:12 PM, Gregory P. Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com
> <mailto:tseaver at palladion.com>> wrote:

>     On 12/31/2012 09:52 AM, Ned Batchelder wrote:
>     > On 12/31/2012 8:54 AM, Tres Seaver wrote: On 12/31/2012 08:22
>     AM, Ned
>     > Batchelder wrote:
>     >>>> Oops, posted this two days ago, and forgot to mention it here:
>     >>>> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201212/coveragepy_36b3.html
>     > Thanks, Ned, for the quick turnaround on the fix!
>     >
>     > Thanks more generally for coverage:  I blame it, along with tox and
>     > nose, for the huge timesuck I encountered this year implementing
>     > Python2-Python3 "straddling" on the packages I help maintain (I
>     won't
>     > even consider a port until I get statement coverage up to 100%).
>     >
>     >
>     >> You're welcome, I think?  :)
>
>     Definitely.  I had just been reviewing the several hundred hours I put
>     into porting this year:  I would never have even contemplated it
>     without
>     the tools you, Holger, and Titus have provided.
>

> Cool.  A writeup, lightening talk or general lessons learned from your
> 2and3 porting efforts would be great to read. :)
>
> (read: I'm in the process of doing this for a bunch of code and would
> love to pre-learn things I haven't run into yet)

I wrote a bit about it back when I first did the 3.x work:
http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/200907/coveragepy_on_python_3x.html This
was 3.5 years ago, and is out of date: it describes a 2to3 workflow that
I don't even remember.  Today, the same code runs on Python 2.3 through
3.3, which isn't easy, but you can get used to it.  Today, I would use
the "six" module to smooth over the differences, but I got started
before it did, so I have a similar module of my own, called "backward"
(compatible).

--Ned.