[TIP] patch automatically functions in external library

andrea crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:01:43 PDT 2012

2012/8/21 Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdonek at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM, andrea crotti
> <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have one "common" project that contains a lot of code which is useful
>> from more different projects.
>>
>> All projects have (hopefully) unit tests, but what I'm worried about now
>> is that changing a function signature in *common* might make break
>> something somewhere else.
>
> Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but wouldn't proper unit
> testing of the "different" projects catch breaking changes in
> "common"?
>
> If calls to the code in "common" are covered by your tests, then at
> least some of those unit tests should fail if the common code changes
> in an incompatible way.
>
> --Chris

Well in general yes, and it's probably true for my projects.  But
since not everyone is writing unit tests unfortunately if I have a way
to check for changed signatures maybe I can help with that..

Is probably not a big issue anyway, and it will become a problem only
when someone else will start to use this code..