[TIP] examples of py.test funcargs

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Aug 11 10:31:52 PDT 2012

Hi Brianna,

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 18:04 +1000, Brianna Laugher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work at the Bureau of Meteorology in Australia on a reasonable sized
> Python application, and we are happy users of py.test as our testing
> library. In a week or so I am going to be giving a talk at the PyCon
> AU conference about py.test and focusing on funcargs in particular. I
> was hoping to have some cool examples of it in use from open source
> projects as well as our own project.
>
> However I went through the list of projects at
> http://pytest.org/latest/projects.html#projects and to my surprise
> only a handful of them had tests using any funcargs at all. These were
> Holger's projects, the mwlib library, Circuits framework and two
> projects by Ali Afshar. Oh and the Mozilla webQA. Most projects have
> their tests in the xUnit class style.
>
> So, I was wondering if the folks here have any examples of interesting
> funcargs from their own projects or other projects they know about
> with source code online, that they would be interested in sharing.

Hum, I haven't cared for updating the projects list for almost a year TBH.
Here are some links i discovered while googling about pytest funcarg usage
(I am not affiliated / develop code for these plugins and examples):

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytest-django/

    http://pyudev.readthedocs.org/en/latest/tests/plugins.html

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytest_gae/0.2.1

    https://bitbucket.org/basti/pytest-localserver/

    https://github.com/Pylons/Kotti/pull/101

    http://anders.conbere.org/blog/2011/05/03/setup_and_teardown_methods_with_py.test/

    http://packages.python.org/zope.pytest/api.html

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytest-monkeyplus/

Besides, with pytest-2.3 there are some major refinements for the
funcarg mechanism, easing and extending current usages.  Here is
the in-development documentation about it:

    http://pytest.org/dev/funcargs.html

This is still a bit in-flux so you can influence it with your feedback
which is very welcome.

best,
holger