[TIP] Python Testing Tools Taxonomy

Chris Wesseling Chris.Wesseling at cwi.nl
Tue Sep 6 01:19:21 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-05T21:17:56+0200, Geoff Bache wrote:
> Hi again Chris and others,
>
> > I don't know about the activity. Seems OK at first glance, but it's just
> > a date.
> >
> > What's really nice for deciding on which tool to try is a side by side
> > comparison like http://garybernhardt.github.com/python-mock-comparison/
> >
> > And given it's a doctest, it might even be feasible to check in a
> > buildbot/Jenkins/[other ci] setup.
>
> I added a link to this above the mocking tools section.

Nice.

> While more side-by-side comparisons at the code level would certainly
> be interesting, they're a lot of work to produce, and in some cases
> may lead to confusion where tools are not directly solving the same
> problem. A key part of this discussion  is how to make this a useful
> resource without requiring huge amounts of effort from individual
> maintainers, which is a model that has failed in the past.

The sphinx source for this particular effort is available @
https://github.com/garybernhardt/python-mock-comparison
And, judging by the history, pull requests are acted upon.

I think contributing to this comparison is a way for library maintainers
to toot their horn and get a/expand their following.

> >> Also, can we possibly take down the other two copies of this and/or
> >> replace them with links to the wiki? (That's the original Cheesecake
> >> one and Michael's half-done one). If I google it the new version is
> >> the third hit of the three currently...
>
> No response here so far. I'm happy to go on weeding out dead projects
> but am going to wait until this happens: it's not going to be very
> useful if a lot of people are still landing on older outdated copies
> of it.

I've posted a patch to cheesecake-dev last night. I'll mention the
TestingToolsTaxonomy issue when I get a response.

--
Chris