[TIP] plguins for unittest2?

meme dough memedough at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 05:08:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

Opinions are obviously subjective so...

py.test is very good and supports junit xml (--junitxml) and cobertura
xml (--cov) output.  It has a more complete plugin interface imho
(having written plugins for py.test / nose / unit2) including
customizing test collection, parallel testing and test
parameterization.

nose is also good and supports junit xml (--with-xunit) and cobertura
xml (--with-cov or --with-coverage --with-xcoverage) output.

unit2 is the new stdlib with backports to 2.4.  Haven't see the
plugins branch move since Nov 2010 and never released afaik.  It has a
junitxml plugin, a testcoverage plugin and I have a unittest2-cov
plugin on bitbucket.

Both py.test and nose (and presumably unit2) collect stdout / stderr
and so hide it by default.  Why is this annoying?  You see the output
if a test fails.

The test collection is based on naming convention to automatically
find tests which is good imho over manually writing code to add tests
to test suites.  Perhaps you need to rename functions and delete the
test suite providing functions or customize the test collection?

Disclaimer, I wrote pytest-cov, nose-cov, unittest2-cov.

:)