[TIP] plguins for unittest2?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat Oct 15 02:57:24 PDT 2011

Hi All,

So, I'm looking for a new testrunner.

- zope.testrunner doesn't support much beyond working well with
buildout, that I like

- nose is annoying (hiding stdout by default, discovers way too many
tests and doesn't respect test-suite providing functions) but does have
plugins (I *really* want junit xml and cobertura xml output as I
*really* want to use Jenkins)

- I don't know other test runners and want to use something "standard"

So, I thought I should use unittest2 and it's "discover"... But before
that, I need to know if it's possible to get junit xml and cobertura xml
out of it. Looks like the answer's no, which is fine, I'd be up for
writing plugins to do that... but there lies the rub.

How do I write plugins for unittest2?

I see:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2010_07_24.shtml

...but it doesn't look like that's made it into a release.

So, what do people recommend? Are there plugins for nose that make its
test discovery "sane"? Will unittest2 plugins be coming to a pypi
release any time soon?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk