[TIP] nose_fixes 1.1 released!

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Nov 24 15:53:43 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> writes:
> Er, why is that considered silly? When I write a docstring for a test,
> it is in the expectation that test reports will use the synopsis (the
> first line of the PEP 257 compliant docstring) as the test description.

IIRC there was a thread here that dug into the reason not all that long ago.

Twisted trial, testtools, zope.testrunner - all these runners show
just the id by default.

In general the goal of a test failure is to let you identify the
failing code so that you can:
 - reproduce the failure
 - examine the code that caused the failure
 - including any parameterisation

Many folk that I know find this easier to do using the test id()
rather than description().

-Rob