[TIP] nose_fixes 1.1 released!

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 23 04:18:46 PST 2011

Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> writes:

> This release stops the silly behaviour of using the test's docstring
> as the description of the test. Thanks to Christian Muirhead for help
> in implementing that.

Er, why is that considered silly? When I write a docstring for a test,
it is in the expectation that test reports will use the synopsis (the
first line of the PEP 257 compliant docstring) as the test description.

That's what the standard library ‘unittest’ module does, why would you
break that expectation?

Please use the test docstring's synopsis as the test description when
it's present; that's a large part of the reason for writing it. (If you
want to *also* show the test function name, that's fine of course.)

--
 \       “A ‘No’ uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater |
  `\       than a ‘Yes’ merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to |