[TIP] Testing Django with py.test

Brack, Laurent P. lpbrac at dolby.com
Tue Nov 1 12:55:41 PDT 2011

Not sure if this helps, but if I am not mistaken, Django (which I am not familiar with) uses
buildout.

We use buildout internally in conjunction with PyTest and specify pytest, pytest-cov and pytest-xdist
as part of our buildout file (see excerpt below). After running buildout, we end up with a py.test file
in the ./bin folder which has all the system path set to the buildout environment (pytest_testlink is a plugin
linking pytest to a testlink server).

[buildout]
parts= pytest
find-links = http://testlink.eng.dolby.net:8080

[pytest]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs = PyTL
       pytest
       pytest-xdist
       pytest-cov
       pytest_testlink
       ${project:eggs}

Note: Xdist doesn't work for us at this time as we are not generating an interpreter as part of buildout but we are using the system one, hence instances of python started via execnet have no knowledge of the buildout environment. Should be easy to fix though via the xdist hooks.