[TIP] secondary testing tools

Jamu Kakar jkakar at kakar.ca
Fri May 6 03:09:43 PDT 2011

Hi Rustom,

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> For running a battery of tests (in good-ol C projects), the Makefile
> is often used.
>
> What is the recommended tool for orchestrating testing in python?
>
> Is scons suitable for this? Or do folks just stay within nose,
> unittest etc and not use a separate tool?

There are a number of ways to run unit tests in Python.  I like
Twisted's trial runner a lot and usually have a Makefile with a check
target, like:

check:
    trial $PROJECT

I like to have a Makefile because I include targets to clean *.pycs,
generate releases with setup.py, etc.  If you don't want or need those
things you'll probably just want to run 'trial $PROJECT' or 'nose
$PROJECT' or something.

Thanks,
J.