[TIP] testing: why bother?

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Mar 23 09:58:04 PDT 2011

On 23/03/2011 16:40, C. Titus Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 04:26:02PM +0000, Michael Foord wrote:
>> On 23/03/2011 15:37, C. Titus Brown wrote:
>>> [snip...]
>>> Also I don't know of any actual evidence that TDD or agile actually improves
>>> programming speed, ability, thought, or anything else, over other methods of
>>> specification (more formal ones, for example).  Anecdotes need not apply.
>>>
>> Well sure, but unless you have evidence to the contrary (anecdotes need
>> not apply) that's entirely moot.
> This is an ... interesting opinion, actually.  If you're dealing with
> institutional inertia -- working within a large team, or on educational
> curricula -- then *positive* evidence is needed to effect a shift.
> It may not be sufficient, but it's certainly necessary.

Here's some anecdotal evidence that you should definitely ignore. At
Resolver Systems we would (I say would because I no longer work there
and can't speak as to their experiences for the last year or more) hire
two interns every summer. Intern applicants were typically
undergraduates and came from all over the world, including the most
prestigious universities in the UK.

In interviewing it was striking that many of the Polish applicants were
head and shoulders above the others because they had learned (horror of
horrors) practices like testing and version control and had participated
in group projects using them. Their teaching had been *relevant* and
*useful* for real world programming. Certainly not what one expects from
a typical university education. ;-)

For the three summers I was there we had six interns, five of them Polish.

All the best,

Michael

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/