[TIP] testing: why bother?

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 09:50:08 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:40, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
> Of course, given that I'm still in the backwaters of scientific programming
> trying to convince people that *version control* is a good idea, I clearly have
> other things to work on!

Interesting.

Personally, I learned the value of test suites in exactly the same way
I learned the value of version control: by suffering through a
catastrophe that could have been easily avoided.

So if you're in an environment that, for other reasons, is unlikely to
have those kinds of catastrophes, it's harder to see the value for
yourself. Remember how on Dune they scoffed at the concept of
"drowning"?

--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>