[TIP] testing: why bother?

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Mar 23 09:38:17 PDT 2011

On 23/03/2011 16:26, Michael Foord wrote:
> On 23/03/2011 15:37, C. Titus Brown wrote:
>> [snip...]
>> Also I don't know of any actual evidence that TDD or agile actually
>> improves
>> programming speed, ability, thought, or anything else, over other
>> methods of
>> specification (more formal ones, for example). Anecdotes need not apply.

These studies are the best I'm aware of on benefits of TDD:

* http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/03/TDD-Improves-Quality

The study compared 4 projects, at Microsoft and IBM that used TDD with
similar projects that did not use TDD.

The pre-release defect density of the four products, measured as defects
per thousand lines of code, decreased between 40% and 90% relative to
the projects that did not use TDD. The teams' management reported
subjectively a 15–35% increase in initial development time for the teams
using TDD, though the teams agreed that this was offset by reduced
maintenance costs.

Which I believe refers to a meta-paper incorporating this study:

* http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/groups/ese/fp17288-bhat.pdf

The results summarized in Figure 5
indicate that while the development of both the systems utilizing
TDD took extra time upfront the resulting quality was higher than
teams that adopted a non-TDD approach by an order of at least two
times.

The microsoft empirical study is interesting because they have large
scale development with varying practices, and are in a position to
compare those practises across projects.

Michael

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil