[TIP] testing: why bother?

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed Mar 23 09:38:12 PDT 2011

Le 23/03/2011 17:09, C. Titus Brown a écrit :
> Seriously, I just don't have a reason to switch away from my current
> approach, which I would characterize as half-TDD, half-stupidityDD,
> and half hacking.  TDD just doesn't fit my brain.

That rings a bell to me.  I say that I use TDD the technique and ignore
TDD the religion.  It’s *Python* after all, quick prototyping is a
feature, and programming should be fun.  Doctests in docstrings written
alongside the first code are also nice efficient starting tests, a kind
of middle ground between no tests and full unit tests.  After the
initial phase however, or for codebases like CPython, regression tests
are just mandatory for mental sanity and good sleep.

Cheers