[TIP] testing: why bother?

Natalia Bidart nataliabidart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 06:54:44 PDT 2011

Hi Alfredo

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Alfredo Deza <alfredodeza at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you had to name the single most important reason why you need to write
> tests (or keep up with them) what
> would that reason be?

Less stress :-)

Having proper test suites for the code I'm dealing with makes me feel
"safe" when I need to modify something, in particular when we're in a
rush and we need to add patches to fix something ASAP (and of course
we *can't* break something else in the process).
I consider the tests (as a whole) to be a great harness that I can
rely on, they make me comfortable and in that context I enjoy A LOT
writing software every step of the way.

Cheers, Natalia.