[TIP] TiP BoF feedback & call for help

Jorge Vargas jorge.vargas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:11:11 PDT 2011

Hello all,

First of all although I dont' think there is anything with a different
opinion I totally loved it.

It's a shame I missed it last year.

Second (and I'm sorry if you did this but I got in a little late) I
thought it will be more like other BoF where people will discuss
rather than lighting talks. Because I was hoping to get some help to
find out why our tests are so slow. So here is my lightning talk
regarding that.

Hi, I got a problem ( halp! )
<picture of a sad kitty>
My tests run slooooooooow
But I don't know who to blame
This is django so it's probably it's fault.
<haters got to hate>
Or perhaps it's that my boss does not want to let me move them over to
nose Still stuck on vanilla unittest :(
Or perhaps it's just a bad setup ? more fixtures around ?
Or maybe it's some of the crazyness we do to have a standalone package
that does not require a django project.
We currently have 501 tests on our model only.
ALL of them just check our business logic and raise validation errors
for different problems and such.
Running under jenkins in a VPS with sqlite and postgres (so 1002 runs)
it takes anywhere from 20-30minutes to run.

So who is wrong? me? us? jenkins? django? unittest ? Who to blame ?
I'll love to run my tests more but 30 minutes feedback is just crazy.

Looking forward for Santa Clara !