[TIP] tox offline usage

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:35:19 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Alexander Steinert <sputnik at termo.net> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to use tox in an environment that has no internet access.
> In my trivial example, I specify a dependency in the testenv section:
>
>    [tox]
>    envlist = py26
>    [testenv]
>    deps = pytest==2.0.3
>    commands = true
>
> I want tox to install the pytest-2.0.3.zip distribution that exists in
> my file system, say ./lib/pytest-2.0.3.zip.
>
> With pip, I can achieve that by using --no-index and --find-links, but I
> found no way to tell tox to call pip that way.
>
> Using the indexserver setting would require me to have a PyPI server
> running in my network. I'd like to avoid that.
>
> Apart from patching tox' code, is there any other way to achieve my
> goal?
>
> While we're at it: When I run tox (configured as above) for the first
> time, it fails (as expected) with "could not install deps
> [pytest==2.0.3]". When run again, it is happily "reusing existing
> matching virtualenv py26" and running /bin/true but silently ignoring
> the missing dependency. Should I file a bug report?

I've also noticed this.  Is this an intended behavior?  It's let me to
be confused a couple of times regarding dependencies that don't
install properly (see my previous threads on this mailing list).

By the way, if you're wondering, I would prefer that it didn't do
this, because if it can't install all the dependencies correctly, then
I consider that particular test environment to be broken, and the way
it is now, it falsely makes it appear that they are not.

Aaron Meurer