[TIP] Fwd: [Launchpad-dev] Reminder about a great Testtools matcher

Victoria G. Laidler laidler at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 20 15:23:18 PDT 2011

Herman Sheremetyev wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
>
>> I thought this was cool enough it might be of interest to t-i-p.
>> Martin

I also tend towards "smaller tests rather than armies of asserts", but
note that the case as presented identifies a situation where the desired
test granularity is coarse (either pass or fail), but the desired test
*reporting* is fine (tell me _what_ passed or failed).

This is a common real-world scenario (at least in my real world!) and
it's the kind of thing we wrote Pandokia[1] to handle. The test author
can write a coarse test with fine-grained reporting by means of test
definition attributes and test result attributes (TDAs and TRAs) that
are set in the test and can be reported out in a key-value format that
Pandokia can read, parse, and store in a database to make nice reports.
The attributes are not limited to pass/fail but can include computed
values, differences, anything that might be useful in figuring out why a
test failed, or by how much it exceeded its pass/fail threshold.

cheers,
Vicki Laidler

[1] - https://svn.stsci.edu/trac/ssb/etal/wiki/WikiStart#pandokia