[TIP] nosetests with coverage excluding a package

meme dough memedough at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 02:54:17 PDT 2011

Hi,

Each sub process that starts will need to activate coverage.

The nosetests process will run with coverage enabled for that process
only.  It's not clear what other processes you have.

The ignition.py file starts how many processes?  Did you mean that you
have 1 server process (paster process) and the nosetests process and
only the nosetests process is collecting?

In any event the ignition.py file will need to ensure that any sub
process it creates will activate coverage.

As a shameless plug nose-cov measures sub processes automatically
(provided env vars make it to the sub process).  It does this by
ensuring that any python sub process activates coverage collection
during site initialisation.

If you made the paster process into a test fixture then it would be
handled automatically by nose-cov.  So the test fixture would start
the server before running the tests, then after the tests finish
shutdown the server, then nosetests finishes collecting all coverage
results from all sub processes, merging and outputting any reports you
want.

The advantage of making the paster server process a test fixture is
that any tests that need it can easily just use the fixture, plus you
don't need the extra top level scripts since you can just run
nosetests and it will ensure that you have the appropriate test
resources (the paster process) that the tests require.  Finally since
you run the paster process as a sub process to the nosetests process
then the coverage is automatically activated and collected.

If you keep the paster process started by that wrapper script that
starts both paster and nosetests then you will have to manually
activate coverage for the paster sub process.  You will need to look
at the link Ned provided to do that manually.

Unless you have good reasons for keeping the test wrapper script that
starts the paster server and nosetests and then invokes coverage to
produce an xml report then I'd suggest using a test fixture.  This
seems a better solution to me since you get to use straight nosetests
on the command line and any tests that run that need the server can
have it started / stopped automatically for them (which is basically
what test fixtures are for)!  Then running is simply:

nosetests --with-cov --cov . --cov-report=xml tests/

Presuming you want to measure coverage for all python files under .
(current dir) and tests are located under tests dir and you want an
xml report.

Also it means that when running tests without coverage you can again
just run nosetests straight and it will take care of starting the
paster process for you.

Have a look at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/nose-cov

:)