[TIP] Tox with protobuf package

Jamu Kakar jkakar at kakar.ca
Mon Jul 4 02:55:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

I started playing with Tox this weekend and ran into some issues.  I'm
using this tox.ini (with Tox 1.0 installed with 'pip install tox' on
an Ubuntu 11.04 machine):

[tox]
indexserver =
default = http://pypi.testrun.org
envlist = py27

[testenv]
sitepackages = True
commands = trial []
deps =
     riak

The 'riak' package depends on 'protobuf', but the install fails
because the 'protobuf' package doesn't have a setup.py in the root
directory, it's under python/ instead.  I ended up installing the
'python-protobuf' Ubuntu package and enabling 'sitepackages' as above
to work around the issue.

Is there a way to tell Tox that the setup.py for a particular package
is in a non-standard location?

Thanks,
J.