[TIP] Testing from sandbox in the presence of installed versions

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Jan 22 10:02:50 PST 2011

    holger> could you post or point to a paste-service-URL-provided full
    holger> session log including your actual invocation and working
    holger> directory?

http://dpaste.org/iSqI/ (lightly edited script command output)

I think I'm closing in on the problem, actually, multiple problems:

    * One of the things the test suite does is start up servers to
      communicate with.  Those test programs are executable and start with
      the usual "#! /usr/bin/env python" line.  They are thus started with
      Python 2.7 instead of, in this case, Python 2.5.

    * I have used easy_install to install a bunch of things on my system.
      Those installed packages are thus at the start of sys.path.  I got rid
      of easy_install's sys.path munging.  That changed the errors.  Now it
      can't find sb_server.py even though tox installed one when it built
      the virtualenv:

        % find . -name sb_server.py | xargs ls -l
        -rwxrwxr-x  1 skip  staff  44420 Jan 22 11:58 ./.tox/py25/bin/sb_server.py
        -rw-rw-r--  1 skip  staff  44376 Dec  6  2008 ./scripts/sb_server.py
        -rw-r--r--  1 skip  staff  44792 Dec  4  2008 ./thunderbayes/spambayes/sb_server.py

Skip