[TIP] Tox command line substitutions

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Fri Jan 7 06:32:49 PST 2011

Hi Chris,

just back from vacation - you also filed issue15 IISIC.
(And i'd like to cross-post this mail to the issue but ASFAIK unfortunately
GCode does not allow updating an issue by mail ...)

http://code.google.com/p/pytox/issues/detail?id=15

More inline commenting ...

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 08:48 -0700, Chris Rose wrote:
> I ran into an issue with tox command positional argument substitution
> that I was going to look into fixing, but it turns out that at least
> to some extent the issue is by design (at least, according to the unit
> tests in tox).
>
> Here's my own example, with expected behaviour:
>
> command = nosetests -m '(?:^|[\\b_\\./-])(?:unit)?[Tt]est'
>
> Tox substitutes this as:
>
> nosetests -m '(?:^|POSARGS)(?:unit)?POSARGSest'
>
> Obviously, this is undesirable.
>
> >From the unit tests, I see that by design tox is expected to support
> replacing multi-word elements in the command as denoted by []
> characters with the positional arguments, if provided, and if not, to
> strip them out completely:
>
>            [section]
>            key2=
>                cmd1 []
>                cmd2 [{item2} \
>                     other]
>
> Here, cmd2 will either be "cmd2 POSARGS", "cmd2", or "cmd2 item2value"
> depending on substitutions
>
> So, the question is, then, is this a good design for command
> substitution? \[.*\] is a VERY greedy way to replace text in a
> command, especially given that there's no way to escape these strings
> as it stands. Also, any escaping scheme is going to be subject to some
> potentially awful nested escaping issues, depending on how the command
> is executed. That might not be a problem -- I suspect that the command
> is executed using subprocess, so shell escaping is moot -- but it
> might be a hard problem to solve.
>
> For my part, I'd suggest changing the substitution marker to something
> less likely to ever be found in a command line; '{{}}' or '<<<>>>' or
> something like it, or to add a way to escape them.

To keep things mostly compatible i like your suggestion to
(continue to) recognize "[]" literally and disallow specifying
default arguments.  We should this via a a {*} substitution
and phase out "[]" usage in the documentation and examples.
This way we end upw ith only one substitution mechanism
which makes it easier to think about escaping/providing
default values etc.

> I'd like to contribute a fix to this, but first I need to know what
> the right fix should be. Thoughts?

if the above makes sense i'd be happy to review and merge your fix.

cheers,
holger