[TIP] tox vs buildout

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 09:04:25 PST 2011

On 16/12/2011 22:49, holger krekel wrote:
>> What would work with tox? Can I pip install from a requirements file
>> to get my test dependencies to be installed? If so, what should I
>> put in my tox.ini to make sure I install into the right tox
>> virtualenv?
>
> usually you would specify "deps=" in the testenv to multiline-list your
> dependencies.

Okay, I've made tox.ini the source for testing dependencies and now
build the test extra from it in setup.py using ConfigParser.

It appears that the pip installation tox uses will only pick released
packages, while easy_install picks beta releases. I use stuff in Mock
0.8.0bx, how can I get that package to be used by tox?

Also, it looks like Tox does --no-deps when installing the package:

../bin/pip install
--download-cache=/Users/chris/LocalGIT/testfixtures/.tox/_download -U
--no-deps ../../../dist/testfixtures-2.3.3.tar.gz >5.log

Why would it do that?! I *really* want my packages' dependencies
installed...

> testenv-setting: changedir=XYZ, see also http://tox.testrun.org/latest/config.html

Okay, done, and appears to work :-)

>> Also, why is Tox using
>> Users/chris/buildout-eggs/virtualenv-1.7-py2.6.egg/virtualenv.py ?
>
> I am not sure.  What would you expect to see used instead of this file?

Ah, my bad, this is installed by buildout, as vritualenv is a dependency
of tox :-)

> Does a raw virtualenv invocation with the same arguments as above work?

Hmm, nope, I'll raise it with Enthought...

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk