[TIP] tox vs buildout

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Dec 13 02:17:00 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 08:10 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I do all my development with buildout, but I'd like to start using Tox.
> The first package I'm trying to move in Testfixtures, the work I've
> done so far is on a branch here:
>
> https://github.com/Simplistix/testfixtures/tree/tox
>
> Currently, when I run, I get:
>
> $ bin/tox
> ____________________________________________________________ [tox
> sdist] ____________________________________________________________
> [TOX] ***creating sdist package
> [TOX] /Users/chris/LocalGIT/testfixtures$ /usr/local/bin/python2.6
> setup.py sdist --formats=zip --dist-dir .tox/dist >.tox/log/0.log
> [TOX] ERROR: invocation failed, logfile:
> /Users/chris/LocalGIT/testfixtures/.tox/log/0.log
> [TOX] ERROR: /Users/chris/LocalGIT/testfixtures$
> /usr/local/bin/python2.6 setup.py sdist --formats=zip --dist-dir
> .tox/dist >.tox/log/0.log
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 5, in <module>
>     from setuptools import setup, find_packages
> ImportError: No module named setuptools
>
> [TOX] ERROR: FAIL could not package project
>
> How can I get Tox to use
> /Users/chris/LocalGIT/testfixtures/bin/docpy instead of
> /usr/local/bin/python2.6 to do the packaging?

No customization of sdist-packaging is possible at the moment.
Another feature issue which i'd think makes sense to implement.

to summarize i guess we should add a sdist_commands and install_commands
environment setting allowing to perform the respective steps.
Having these work for you and Andrew would be the goal.

best,
holger