[TIP] tox where setup.py has compile-time options

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sun Dec 11 13:29:49 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 03:28 +0100, Andrew Dalke wrote:
> How do I set up tox so that some of the environments build my module using one combination of flags, as in
>
>   setup.py --with-ssse3
>
> but have other environments build with
>
>   setup.py --without-ssse3 --without-openmp

I don't think there is way to configure that.
More comments below.

> Long form follows:
>

> My module includes a C extension. My setup.py has (hacked-in) support for two compiler/CPU specific options:
>
>   --with-ssse3  and --without-ssse3
>   --with-openmp  and  --without-openmp
>
> The "--with-*" forms are enabled by default, but I want to support people who aren't on Intel or don't use a compiler with OpenMP support. (clang, for example).
>
> I have a tox.ini with 14 different environment for various combinations of Python and supported libraries. It's been extremely useful - thank you!
>
> I want to test that the --without-ssse3 and --without-openmp compile, and do the right thing. I thought to modify a few of the environments to add the flags, and set an environment variable so that the test code would know what to expect.

Makes sense.

> I'm looking for an option like
>
>   buildflags=--without-ssse3
>
> but haven't found anything like it, and the code doesn't seem to support this option either.

Right.

> I thought I could cheat a bit, use a setenv in the configure script, and have the setup.py look for that environment variable, but the setenv settings aren't passed to the setup.py program.

This could be improved rather easily i think.  Care to open an issue about it?

Maybe it would make sense to add a direct "pip-installoptions" testenv-option
to influence the way packages are installed.

best,
holger